Baby Update!

Good news! There’s definitely more than one baby. I haven’t been able to capture more than one in a single picture, so I don’t have any proof, but take my word for it! Although it’s difficult to say for sure, I estimate that there are roughly 10 healthy baby shrimp in the tank. Of those 10, it seems that 2-3 have a blue tinge, while the rest are slightly red or orange. At this stage of their lives, their color isn’t fully developed, so I’m interested to keep a close eye on their color in the future. This shrimp below seems to have a blue-greenish tinge, which I am particularly excited about!

Additionally, they’ve been growing fast! The largest babies are now slightly bigger than a grain of rice, making them quite a bit easier to spot in the tank.

If you’re wondering about the dish in the video above, I use it as a feeding tray for the shrimp. I put one small tablet of shrimp food in it, and I do see the shrimp occasionally stopping by for a bite. However, the rate at which they eat the tablet is so slow that it’ll start to grow moldy long before it gets eaten. Keeping it in a small dish makes it a lot easier for me to tell when it’s starting to go bad, and easier to remove.

Above is an example of a shrimp that has grown a decent amount, but still hasn’t developed much color. I’m interested to see if it will maintain it’s clear body throughout it’s life, or if a more vibrant color will emerge.