Basic Neocaradinia Care and Tank Parameters

Neocaradinia shrimp are some of the simplest and undemanding when it comes to care requirements.  However, there are a few basic things that any shrimp-keeper needs to consider when preparing a tank.

Tank Size

Since these shrimp are so small and produce very little waste, the recommended tank size for a colony can be as small as 5 gallons (19L).

Water Parameters

Cherry shrimp are quite hardy when it comes to water parameters and can thrive in quite a wide range. That said, I’ll include the recommended parameters below.

pH: 6.2-8.0 (measure of how basic or acidic the water is)

Temperature: 18-29.5°C – I use a submersible heater similar to this one.

gH: 4-8* (general hardness of the water)

kH: 3-15* (carbonate hardness of the water)

*Note, I didn’t actually measure the gH or kH of my own water, and my shrimp seem to be thriving. However, if you live in an area where you believe there may be unusual amounts of salts or carbonate in your tap water, I would recommend looking into a testing kit for these.

Perhaps most importantly, your tank needs to be fully cycled. Essentially a cycled tank is just one that has allowed to develop essential nitrogen-fixing bacteria. It is crucial that these bacteria are present before you add shrimp or any other creature into an aquarium. See the video below for more information about cycling your tank.

Filtration

A filter is required for these shrimp. The size and type of filter depends on your tank size, but just be mindful that these shrimp (and especially their babies) are quite small. You may need to use a sponge cover to prevent the little shrimps from being sucked up. For reference, I have an A610 AquaClear filter that I’ve attached an intake filter sponge to.

Water Changes

A monthly 20% water change should be sufficient. I use a siphon similar to the one below.

Decoration

No decoration is required for the survival of these shrimp, however, they do feel more comfortable with areas to hide and places to graze on algae. Hiding places are especially important if you want your shrimp to breed, as females will only release mating pheromones if she feels safe. *Spoiler alert* – my shrimp love hiding among leaves or between rocks!

Tankmates

Disclaimer, I haven’t researched this extensively, as I have no current plans to add any tankmates for my shrimp. That said, I believe that these shrimp will do well with most non-aggressive species of fish or invertebrates.

Whew, I think that’s pretty much all the basics of getting a tank set up for shrimp. Most of this information was gathered from the lovely folks over at theshrimpfarm! Go check them out for some more in-depth info.